http://www.grafikmag.com/matt-shlian
Paper craft by Matt Shilian. Not really been into paper craft but found some really interesting work lately. Matt's work was featured in Grafik and I came across it on their online blog;
Grafik: Describe your work in three words…
Matt Shlian: Seeing is forgetting.
G: What role do computers play in your creative practise?
MS: I am intrigued by the ‘misuse’ of technology. I find that when I try to use technology for its intended purpose, I am often confronted with a series of mistakes or unexpected ‘errors’. I want to push these moments, when our digital technology goes awry, to a place where the error becomes interesting.
G: Who are your heroes?
MS: Musicians, performers, writers, artists, producers… people like Brian Eno, Matthew Goulish, Werner herzog, Buckminster Fuller, Edward Tufte etc. On the paper scene, I’m in love with Lothar Meggendorfer, vojtech Kubasta, Noriko Ambe and Jen Stark.
G: What’s the most interesting thing you have learned from your students?
MS: My students surprise me every year. This past year was all about iterative design—working, reworking and overworking things. I subscribe to the idea of pushing work far past its point of collapse, because we need to know where to draw the line the next time we make it. It is an unreasonable practice, but it’s how the best work is generated. I’m making a sign next year for my classroom that says: “It’s great, now do it again.”



No comments:
Post a Comment