Monday, 17 October 2011

Print Seminar - At the Printers

On Tuesday we had our very first print seminar with Lorenzo. Having been in the print workshop in the morning it was easy to see how both sessions tied in with each other. I made rough notes on the printing process and I'll look over the powerpoint to remind myself of anything that I may have forgotten.

You can find my print research on my Design Context blog.

Lorenzo went through the different types of print production:
Practical/Technical/Economical
Rotary/Digital/Screen

Rotary
Printing plates around a automated cylinder
Litho (Offset) - Planographic
Gravure - Intaglio
Flexo - Relif

Rotogravure
Copper plates with mirror image printing onto paper
Magazines/Newspapers

Flexo
Positive mirror image - rubber polymer plates
Crisp Packets/Sweet wrappers/Label printing

Digital Printing
RIP - Translates info from computer to printer
Short runs
paper-metal

1) Test printing
2) Mock up
3) Materials and stock

Screen Print
Woven mesh - blocking stencil
Mechanical
Density of ink


PAD Printing
2D Image onto a 3D Product


No comments:

Post a Comment